Saturday, January 28, 2017

Useful Things

Making one of these lamps is a huge project and we are all just about done. They involve a lot of hands-on learning for the kids, and I burn the midnight oil getting them wired, correctly standing, and balanced throughout.  Too, this was a squirrelly group. I had a pre-teen kicking up squalls and storms, a young child intimidated by sculpting anything, none of my usual volunteer helpers, kids torn away to theater practice, me feeling pressured at moments. That said, we are the one school in the world that does lamp making. The process was invented by yours truly, and I love that the kids have something useful and long-lasting  that exudes their innocent child-like expression. Each one is unique, very individual. Someone said to me, aren't you proud? Not exactly that, but I know who I am.

On the other hand, with needles and pins nearly flying about in different directions, guiding my strong-minded students in making small articles of clothing is another story altogether. But we get things done just the same! Fashion Design??? See what you think!

It's going to be a fun Pikachu hat when my young friend decides it may be worth a few more stitches to get the job all done!






No comments: